sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Marty, We have a 2005 C270 Estate. It runs fine except there

Customer Question

Hi Marty,
We have a 2005 C270 Estate. It runs fine except there is a ticking sound coming from the transmission that is heard clearly from inside the car. The sound is speed related and is loudest 5MPH but is now at all speeds. Over the last 30k miles it has steadily got louder.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry loudest at 50 MPH, but can be heard at all speeds. The sound comes from below the dash area. Could it be the torque converter
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

A speed related noise wouldn't be coming from the torque converter.

It's possible that you have a mechanical failure in the trans but it's more likely to be rear driveshaft related. It could be the carrier bearing or the U joint, possibly an issue with the coupler on the front of the driveshaft where it mates to the trans. If the coupler had failed bad enough to cause a noise then you should have a throttle sensitive vibration though.

How did you determine the noise is coming from the transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sprinkles,
There is no noticeable vibration from the final drive. However the ticking noise may be less pronounced under load, example when carrying 4 passengers but it still materializes. The noise appears to emit from the center position just below the HVAC control.
One person suggested that the sound was similar to a faulty speedo drive but I assume its all electronic on this vehicle.
I have attempted a basic inspection under the vehicle but had limited access to the final drive shaft at the front.
I will do some more checks and report back when completed.

You haven't used something such as a stethoscope or Chassis Ears to pinpoint the source of the noise then, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I have not but I do have a stethoscope so will try it and get back to you

Great!