sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Volvo S60 2001, 2.0t petrol. 265.000km(164.663miles)

Customer Question

Volvo S60 2001, 2.0t petrol. 265.000km(164.663miles) ECM-644a Camshaft reset valve. Faulty position Hi, I have problems with the idle speed. The engine is shaking and the idle speed is rough. The problem is getting worse when the vehicle is at operating
temperature. The idle is much better when the engine is cold. Sometimes when I am lightly touching the accelerator pedal from a standstill, the rpm is dropping down for a second, and it feels like engine almost stop. I have searched for DTCs, but got only
up "ECM-644a Camshaft reset valve. Faulty position." I have tried replacing CVVT solenoid valve and controlled the timing belt. The timing belt seems to stay correctly to the marks. I have also cleaned the contacts to the CVVT solenoid valve. The engine is
working fine when I am driving normally. I have changed the oil for just a few weeks ago. What else could case this DTC? Could it be some problem with the Cvvt hub? If so, what will I need to do then?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Improper cam timing will often cause idle issues but the engine will run ok off idle. You may have a cam phaser/adjuster issue or the timing belt could be stretched or jumped.

What is the actual P code setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I have used volvo vida scanner, I got "ECM-644A Camshaft reset valve. Wrong position". I think this code should correspond to P1332.
Timing belt is not stretched or jumped.

Do you have the VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN: YV1RS49K912002863

How did you determine the timing belt isn't stretched and hasn't jumped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The timing belt was replaced on a workshop since they thought it could be something wrong with the timing belt (stretched or jumped). Replacing the timing belt did not help. The idle is still rough.
So maybe there is something wrong in the CVVt system?

Yes, if cam timing is correct then it has to be a variable valve timing issue or possibly an inaccurate cam or crank sensor. You almost surely need a cam adjuster.