Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

I have a 53 plate transit which list power a couple of days

Customer Question

Hi, i have a 53 plate transit which list power a couple of days ago on a dual carriageway. I pulled over and called greenflag who diagnosed a turbo failure so they towed it home. A so called friend has replaced the turbo with a recon one?? Although when he was finished the battery was dead. I have just jumped it to get it running. As it started there was alot of white smoke so ileft it to idle for about 10 minutes. I then revved it to about 3000 and took my foot off the pedal. As soon as i did this it carried on revving really high to the top of the gauge so i turned the ignition off. With the key out of the ignition it carried in revvingthis high for about 45 seconds and then cut out.
Any ideas?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin basically you friend didnt tell you that when a turbo bearing fails it allows the oil that is lubricating it to enter the turbo induction system.being a diesel the fuel is oil based and will run on engine oil mixed with the fuel .what he should have done is remove intercooler (like a radiator for boost system ) and drained any excess oil out.the car ran on its own as it sucked the oil out of this system .does van still run?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need to know anything else please rate my service