Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I've got a 58 plate trend spec transit, one problem is the

Customer Question

Hi, I've got a 58 plate trend spec transit, one problem is the wipers don't work on the intermittent setting and when on constant and are turned of don't go back to the rest position. Second problem is the voice control, when listening to the radio it jumps to voice mode by itself and if you turn it off and put back to the radio it might be fine or it maybe jump from voice back to radio back to voice...as you can imagine, very frustrating. I disconnected the volume control stalk on the steering colum(as it wasn't working either) and the radio was fine for weeks but it's started again...just wondering what's at fault, head unit?? And is it a relay causing the wipers not to work properly??
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

From what you have described here I dont think this is the wiper switch/control at fault for the wiper issue since the wipers will not park like they should,this sounds more like the wiper motor/control board itself at fault as this will cause no operation when in intermittent as well as not allowing the wipers to park properly.Usually this is the cause here on models that use a circuit board/control panel to control the wipers.It is possible the wiper switch/control is at fault but this sounds more like the control panel for the motor itself.This will have to be tested further to be sure and may require a computer to be plugged into your vehicle (one that is compatible with this model) to check signals for the wiper control to be sure of the component needing replaced.

The second issue sounds like a fault in either the voice control switch wiring being shorted causing this to occur intermittently with the voice control or a fault in the head unit itself.The wiring will need checked leading from the control switch for voice control operation to see if any wiring needs repaired.If found to be o.k. I suspect the head unit/radio may need repaired or replaced but this would need to be tested further as well to be sure.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete