Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
36867192

My saab broke down last night engine seems ok [to me]

Customer Question

my saab broke down last night
engine seems ok [to me] throttle intermittently engaging - pumping the throttle allowed me to get up to 60mph. then same throttle pressure but car slowed down - pumping the throttle peadl produced a temporary relief - but once I got off the motorway andslowed down for a set of trafiic lights, the car stalled and I couledn't get the trottle to engage so that I could get into drive [it's a petrol, automatic, 1998 saab convertible with around 75k mies on the clock] - is this a throttle body issue, do you think, or something else?
Su of Finchley
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

so the engine will physically crank over and just not fire up ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
s I said, the hrottle would not keepmup the revs, so when I started the engine, as soon as Imoved my foot off the throttle to engage the other edal and putthe car into drive, the engine idle speed dropped and the car stalled
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

will the engine somewhat run on starting fluid ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are you saying? I have no idea what you are asking
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

I will attempt to help you, The symptoms indicate the throttle position sensor inside the throttle body has failed , the throttle body will need to be replaced and reprogrammed. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, Please ask me another question, I will continue to answer your questions, even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.