Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Renault laguna 1.8 made in 2002. Tonight in the

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Renault laguna 1.8 made in 2002. Tonight in the cold soon after starting to drive the auto fault lit up and it appears that the gears were not changing. I managed to drive back home some 10 miles. I know little of cars and cannot do anything myself. What I would like to know is what is the likely problem, can it be fixed by a rescue service and if not how big a job is this if I take it to a garage and how much should i expect to pay?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

It would depend on the nature of the fault that would determine if it can be fixed by your rescue service or not..one things for sure they will have the diagnostically plug it in to get fault codes info from your TCM which basically controls the gearbox valve block/solnoids to change gear at the correct time based on speed etc...its quite possible it maybe down the fluid condition based on the temp change or level even in the gearbox itself..especially so if thats never been changed as far as you know..that could well be the first step in all this to see if that will help..most auto gearbox problems can be solved by replacing the fluid..so its well worth at least trying that..but dependant on the type/nature of the fault or fault codes you have stored would determine what needs to be done or costs even..so giving costs to repair would be hard to give at this stage because as far as i persume no testing has been done as of yet..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I am having difficulty understanding what you wrote. Firstly, you said "they will have the diagnostically plug" do you mean the rescue services have diagnostics Or i need to take to a garage? Secondly, you said "based on the temp change", what do you mean?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Yes they need to plug in diagnostically to see what fualt codes are stored..that why your auto light/transmission light has come on..its means the tcm has spotted the fault or problem and stored the relevent fault codes that will determine what type of fault you have and fix needed.The rescue services will have one aswell as most fully equiped garages nowadays....the temp change externally being outside temp drop can be a factor..especially so if the transmission oil is old or low or what ever or you have no service record of it ever being done since you had the car..thats why its vital or at least the best oppertunity is to replace the transmission fluid to see if that resolves the issue or not..