Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Matt I have a 2004 Nissan Terrano 3.0 D auto. When I stick

Customer Question

Hi Matt
I have a 2004 Nissan Terrano 3.0 D auto. When I stick it in 4wd high on a straight line the car seems to judder, any thoughts on what is causing this please?
Also I note a slight whooshing sound when acclerating at lower speeds, when I hit the gas hard it disappears, but annoying around town driving and when i let go of the pedal noise disappears, it seems to be coming from the front passenger footwell area. Any ideas?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Does it judder just when initially taking off in 4wd Hi, or at all speeds in 4wd Hi?

Can you feel any air coming in thru the passenger side footwell when you are hearing the whooshing sound, or notice that the air at the vents change which vents it comes thru?

Please remember that I am not there and therefore rely on you to provide as much detail as possible and at times may need to ask for clarification or more information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Judder stays throughout in 4wd mode and all hoses pipes look intact when I hear whooshing sound and it's not from vents...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas????
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Does the whooshing sound happen whether in 4wd hi or not, or only when in 4wd hi and related to the shudder?

Any binding in 4wd hi when turning at low speeds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tyres bind and lock when turning but obvious car judder in 4wd hi mode more binding n locking in 4wd low mode. The whooshing is in 2 or 4wd mode
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

The front differential has axles with a constant velocity joint (C.V. joint) which slides in the axial direction. The joint is composed of an outer race, cage, inner race and balls. In the turning direction, the joint rotates in the same way as a ball bearing. The balls lock rotation completely and transmit drive. In addition this vehicle is also characterized by a function that the shaft can slide through the balls in the grooves of the outer race in the extension/contraction direction of the drive shaft.

These are more common to bind when failing and need to be checked. This can also cause the juddering

If ok, then it is internal in the transfer case and will need to be dropped and either rebuilt or replaced

On the whooshing noise, I am afraid that this is something will have to be heard to diagnose