Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Cmodel. Battery was almost flat. Disconnected terminals with

Customer Question

C(###) ###-####model. Battery was almost flat. Disconnected terminals with doors locked and alarm went for a few seconds. Now with battery charged the car is totally dead, no radio, lights etc. What is the problem?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** sounds like either the battery cable connections are poor or the battery is actually bad or the front pre-fuse located just in front of the battery is bad. The pre-fuse is the box that contains the positive jumper terminal.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When putting key in ignition, cannot turn wheel, cannot turn key, so no ignition lights pus no ancillaries such as radio, lights, even lock doors
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, did you receive my answer yesterday?

It sounds like either the battery cable connections are poor or the battery is actually bad or the front pre-fuse located just in front of the battery is bad. The pre-fuse is the box that contains the positive jumper terminal.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the terminal box one cable comes in from the battery, five go out of the terminal box to various parts and if there is a fuse it is exceptionally well hidden.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The entire box is the fuse. You need to test for voltage on the 5 wires leaving the box. If you have voltage in but no voltage out you need to replace the entire box.

Let me know what you find.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was my answer helpful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for late reply but have been away. No, the terminal box completes a circuit I guess the fuse is OK
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The only way that everything in the car can be losing power is for the battery or the cable connections or that fuse block to be faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem appears to be the immobilizer has "killed" the car.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The factory immobilizer only keeps the car from starting. All other electrical in the car will still function. Someone is giving you incorrect information.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Did you ever get this repaired?