Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a 55 plate transit and the dashboard has stopped

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 55 plate transit and the dashboard has stopped working... coming up with the word error where the odometer is and the glow plug and spanner lights flash in a distinct pattern. Have had a friend put a snapon diagnostic tester on it and it doesn't register a fault. Following day it worked fine again... that was a couple of weeks ago and the fault came back this weekend. Reading other articles FYI my interior lights don't work either, but my intermittent wipers do!
Any thoughts please?
Thanks, Chris
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

With no codes set ( I would assume the codes were checked in all computers in the vehicle) and the instrument panel/cluster acting up like this here the most common cause that I have come across myself for an issue like this here is a faulty instrument cluster itself needing either removed and repaired by an authorized repair center or removed and replaced.I have seen the instrument clusters fail like this before or act up like this here before.The only way to have this checked to make sure this is the cause here is to have the power and ground signals tested at the cluster when it is acting up and if found to be o.k. the cluster needs repaired or replaced.

With the interior light issue this can be a fuse at fault.If you have not checked to make sure all fuses are good in all fuse panels this needs done.If any are found blown the affected fuses need replaced and the lights re checked.If all fuses are found to be o.k. this can be a fault with a control unit/ecu that controls the lights.The interior light signals would need tested further to locate and repair the cause here.Usually a fuse at fault or internal electrical fault in a control unit/ecu will cause this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete