Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a 2011 e70 X5 xDrive40d with 40,000 miles. It has a

Customer Question

Hi Roger. I have a 2011 e70 X5 xDrive40d with 40,000 miles. It has a vibration at idle which is strongest in the steering wheel but can be felt in the dash and the rest of the cabin. It also vibrates when driven and held at 1200RPM in any gear at any mph - so long as its at 1200rpm you will feel it. Slightly worse in D or R, but present and still quite bad in P and N. So far, 3 mechanics have looked at the vehicle without dismantling anything and can't see anything that may be the cause - engine mounts 'look' okay, belts and pulleys look okay, exhaust mount and heatshield looks okay, smooth runnigh test on the diagnostic machine passed, no misfire, no CEL, no vacuum leaks, no visible signs of any problem. When coming to a stop, there is a slight metallic buzz sound that can be heard just as the vehicle stops. The same buzz can sometimes be heard when releasing the brake and starting to move off. It lasts only a second or so. One mechanic said he would start by inspecting the automatic
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should add, the vibration is there all the time but is worse when the vehicle is warm and is at its very worst after alot of stop start driving like in city traffic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed the last sentence of my question is incomplete. It should read: One mechanic said he would start by inspecting the automatic flywheel where it connects to the torque convertor but I have not found a single case of the flywheel on these cars needing replacement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The MAF sensor has been tested also and is working normally.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It is possible the flywheel or torque converter is causing this if the flywheel is cracked or an internal mechanical fault in the torque converter is causing this.I have also seen brake calipers hanging up causing this issue as well needing replaced.If the brake issue and the vibration occured at the same time this is possible this is a brake caliper issue needing replaced.These need checked into further to locate and repair the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete