Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have just noticed that my revs have started sticking the

Customer Question

hi mike, i have just noticed that my revs have started sticking the last few times i have driven. I had this problem in my old transit connect with electric pedal, whereby i could pull the accelerator back and it would solve the problem but that cant be done in this transit, would it have a cable? when the revs stick when i restart the ignition it seems to make it ok. the revs did also stick very high at traffic lights earlier, sorted when i turned engine off.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.

This problem is commonly caused by the accelerator pedal sticking, these engines use drive by wire rather than a cable, as you mentioned normally pulling the pedal back up will cure it temporarily, It is possible the sensor arm is sticking so I would make the peddle assembly the first suspect.

The next step would be to get the van plugged into a diagnostic system to view the live data and check for any fault codes in other systems. The live data can give a real time read out of the throttle potentiometer which will quickly and accurately diagnose a throttle pedal or sensor problem.

I suspect this is a throttle sensor fault as it is fairly common and exactly the symptoms I would expect but I strongly advise this is checked as soon as possible as there is a small risk this is caused by the turbocharger seals allowing a mist of oil back into the engine intake, diesel engines will run off this oil mist which will cause the engine to increase rpm, this can very quickly cause a positive feedback loop which can cause serious engine damage. A simple way to check for this is to pull off a turbocharger boost pipe near the intercooler or the turbo to check of excessive oil build up. A fine mist is perfectly normal but if oil is dripping or flows out it is a sign of seal failure.

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.