Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have just got a 09 deisel focus (manual). The car seemed

Customer Question

Hi, I have just got a 09 deisel focus (manual). The car seemed to be running perfectly until i refuelled with deisel. It then began to judder (as if in wrong gear) and cut out (NOT stall) or lose power, i hear an alarm and dashboard message: engine malfunction, also a yellow symbol looks like skid warning. If pull over and switch everything off for a minute, it starts again as normal but within a few seconds the same thing. It does this several times and then seems to run fine until I refuel and it starts all over again. Is this a common problem? I am worried I've bought a faulty motor can you help?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

As you're getting an error message I'd say the quickest way to get a repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic device to pull the fault codes off it - this will greatly speed up any repairs

I'd also say its well worth replacing the fuel filter , if that hasn't been done already

its also possible that there's water / contaminated fuel in the tank and so this is floating on the top most of the time until you refuel and mix it all up

so a bottle of a water negating additive will help

http://www.bellperformance.com/fuel-treatment/dfs-plus

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.