sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a Mitsubishi l200 05' on 100,000 miles. Just got it

Customer Question

Hi mike, I have a Mitsubishi l200 05' on 100,000 miles.
Just got it back from costly clutch change and whilst driving it suddenly lost power and went into limp mode. Pulled over, checked oil. That looked fine, nothing obvious so started up and drove on with no apparent issue for 15miles. Then, sudden power loss again, engine cut out and free wheeled it (luckily) into services.
Turbo has blow, oil everywhere but most concerning is that it won't start - turns over and misses. Before I spend out on a new turbo do you think more damage could have occurred?
Thanks for any help you may be able to offer!
JW
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's definitely possible that you have a bigger issue than just a failed turbo. The turbo itself won't cause a no start condition. When a turbo fails it can cause oil to be sucked into the engine but that really shouldn't cause a no start and would have caused at least smoke from the tailpipe while running. A failed turbo allowing oil into the engine will often cause the engine to run away. If it did run away there may be internal engine damage.

You know for sure that the oil is coming from the turbo?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has always been quite oily, i have had past problems with numerous seals needing replacement. The turbo hose is covered in oil internally. It is very possible that oil has runaway. It may well mean it's a write off as it's likely to cost so much to strip, investigate and repair.

A small amount of oil in the intercooler hose isn't uncommon but it shouldn't be a large amount.

Did the engine speed increase drastically on it's own?