Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

03 2.0 lyre Hyundai Santa fe. Intermittent starting problems

Customer Question

03 2.0 lyre Hyundai Santa fe. Intermittent starting problems where car would start 90% of time , hot or cold. When not starting it was cranking but as if it wasn't getting diesel. I could go back an hour later and it would fire up first time. Then, last week it actually cut out when driving and then failed to start. Waited 30 mins and it started first go, but then cut out again whilst driving. No just want start. Please help.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Is the check engine/service engine soon light on, and if so, what are the fault code numbers?

without knowing this, my first suggestion would be to check the injectors for leaking down and causing loss of fuel pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error codes and no error codes in memory. No engine management either.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

any smoking on start up when it does eventually start, or any fuel in the oil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was quite a lot of smoke Previously, but now the diesel pump was replaced the smoke is no were near as bad.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Without testing I cant be sure, but it does sound like the injectors or leaking down