sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Matt...I have Toyota Yaris D4D that won't start. I have

Customer Question

hi Matt...I have Toyota Yaris D4D that won't start. I have found there is no fuel pressure but I have no idea why....does these models have electric fuel pump...?
William
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You're not going to have fuel pressure to the rail just if the key is turned on. There is an electric transfer pump that brings fuel to the high pressure pump, the high pressure pump turns when the engine is cranking to pressurize the rail. It isn't safe to open a fuel line any time the engine is cranking or running due to the extreme pressure.

How did you determine there is no rail pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cranked the engine over with feed pipe to the rail loosened and there was no pressure whatsoever, I do not hear the the electric transfer pump working in the tank, when the ignition is switched on......could this be the problem...?

Yes, definitely. The pump should run when cranking or when the key is initially turned on. If the ECM is operational and fuses are good then power and ground should be checked at the pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have noticed today that the security light is flashing when the car is unlocked, could it be that the immobiliser has isolated the electric fuel pump and not allowing the car to start...? I have locked and unlocked several times but the security light keeps flashing regardless.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked all fuses and they are good...

Security will disable the injectors rather than the transfer pump.

Have you checked the ECM for communication with an actual scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that checks out ok...

You're able to look at live data, perform actuator tests, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi....sorry had work commitments and no tome to look further until now....anyhow it was another guy who put it on the diagnostics computer bit don't think he knew much about fault diagnosis....anyhow as I said the last time we spoke here the security light still keeps flashing when I unlock the doors with the key fob, so do you think this is the problem that the car is immobilised and the reason for non start...? The delivery pump in the tank is defiantly not working when the ignition is switched on...or even when the engine is being cranked over...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be an ECU problem...

You don't actually have a scan tool then, correct?