Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 2006 sonata 2.0l manual petrol. The car has a rough

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2006 sonata 2.0l manual petrol. The car has a rough idle (misfire) and regularly stalls when slowing down to a stop. Clutch feels strange at low gears ie can increase revs a lot when clutch is pressed down. Any advice here?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Is the check engine light on and if so, what are the fault code numbers?

How does it idle - smoothly, erratically, or up and down rhythmically?

Possible causes depending upon other symptoms include air intake tube leak, sticking throttle body throat plate, faulty TP sensor or IAC valve, faulty MAF or MAP sensor, vacuum or intake manifold gasket leak

Please remember that I am not there to test and therefore rely on your for as much information as possible

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi!
Thanks for your reply. I bought the car 2nd hand and the codes were missing from the ECU. This is a big problem when taking it to a mechanic as you can imagine. The idle is not bad and the revs do not move up and down in idle but rather the engine just sort of vibrates. I know there are many possible issues but its getting frustrating taking it to mechanics who just want to throw new parts at it which are having no effect so far. Is there anything I can do to diagnose the problem fully? Is it possible for there to be an issue with the timing of the engine possibly related to a clutch installed incorrectly? ( the guy I bought it from said he had replaced the clucth but he isn't a mechanic) thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, lets start by checking for vacuum, air intake tube, pcv, or intake manifold gasket leaks. With engine idling out of gear, spray carb cleaner on each vacuum hose, then air intake tube, then pcv valve hose, then around the base of intake manifold one at a time. If idle changes when one is sprayed, that is your culprit

If no difference, then we will go from there

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks