Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

2006 Volvo V70 II 2.4D, XENON: computer says "headlights

Customer Question

2006 Volvo V70 II 2.4D, XENON: computer says "headlights defect" and - after switching on headlamps - sets beam first to highest, then immediately to lowest position. Very annoying, as Volvo Dealer confirmed there is ACTUALLY NO DEFECT with headlamps (all bulbs + level sensor + range control motor were replaced + all cabeling has been fully tested and confirmed working fine), so they suspect CEM- or REM-issue. I read headlamp range control is controlled by REM, so I wanna check what can be wrong there. Any Relays to check? Or do you have a different suggestion? The error message is displayed even when headlamp switch is only set to parking light! Any help is much appreciated!Thanks, H.Laufer
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to define more precisely what I need:
- Statement as to whether the REM (rear electronic module) has any servicable parts apart from relays (would relay-defect fit?) and what is the component most likely to have failed, given above description
- Statement as to whether headlamp range control is controlled by REM or CEM (central electronic module) and which of those is more likely to have failed, given above description. It appears from 1st Hand Volvo documents I consulted that the data from rear axle level sensor is sent to REM first, then processed (?) in some form and sent from REM to CEM, the latter controlling the headlamp range control motors. However, due to immense costs, it's out of question to replace or "repair" both REM and CEM, just to be "on the safe side".
Please advise frankly if you can't provide more Information than I already have and listed above! I will then cancel the request. After all, not even VOLVO itself could manage more than a guessing game at customer's expense...
Best regards, H.Laufer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as a preliminary workaround to raise headlamp range control level to "driving-height", I already disconnected the range control motors when, during their initial up-then-down-adjustment process after switching on headlamps, they reached correct position. So please don't advise that. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
needless to add that VOLVO reset all error codes several times + I also had the battery disconnected over several days. Error persists. So please don't advise that either. Thanks.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, thanks for all the information and details you included. This always helps in diagnosing issues. First I need the last 8 digits of the vin number so that I can pull the correct schematics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin, Last 8 digits: 72626771
Regards, ***** *****
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Will have to opt out as I dont have the schematics for that one. If another expert can help, they will post here