Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

My Nissan Micra has a starting issue.

Customer Question

Hi , My Nissan Micra has a starting issue.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, you dont provide any detail of the starting issue -

Does it not crank at all - no sound when turning the key to crank

Does it crank but not start

Does it start but take several attempts - if so, is it a cold start issue when sitting overnight, happen all the time

Just based upon the little information given, this could be a ignition switch issue, starter issue, fuel pump or injector pulse issue, no spark, broken timing belt, or one of 20 other causes

Please remember that I am not there to inspect it and therefore rely on you to provide as much detail as possible

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,Here is the complete story of this Micra, who has only 60000 kms !The car has been sitting for years.
It cranks but won't start, unless you pour petrol in the throttle body.The ignition is okay.
The fuel pup is new, as are the camshaft and crank sensors.
When I pull the codes from the car, nothing appears. No check engine light when cranking.
The injectors are not supplied with power. (they receive no order to open) As I told you, the engine starts ONLY when you pour a little petrol in the Throttle body, then it stalls.
I have changed the ECM, then have it coded with the Nissan Consult II : the anti-theft flashes on and off when the key is off. When ignition turned on, it disappears, as it should.
I have removed the complet dash in order to check for a broken wire. But as far I can see, everything is OK.I have sold this car and the customer is waiting ... Thanks you for your help !
Regards,Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS don't forget the camshaft are driven by a chain
Enclosed is a picture of the car and the engine (1.4L 16v Mpfi)
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, so no injector pulse. Did you check with a noid light and if so did the noid lights light up and stay lit or not even light up when key turned to crank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I don't have such an equipment, is there another way to test them ?
I have already had the injectors cleaned by a specialist, and I have fitted new o-rings.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

You can use an analogue voltmeter. disconnect the harness connector to the fuel injectors and put the leads of the voltmeter into the terminals of the harness side injector. Have someone crank the engine. The needle should go up and down between 0 and 12v constantly. I need to know either it does that, or stays at 0, or goes to 12v and stays there until key turned off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 2 wires going to the injectors
Whaen cranking, the first one shows 0.56v constantly
The second one (blue) shows very low values ranging from 0.01 to 0.04
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, there a short in the wiring. You need to trace the wiring looking for breaks, cuts, chafing and repair as needed. Or the new ecm is defective, but very rare to have that happen

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so where do we start from ? I suppose i should follow the blue wire up to the ecm. I mean check for comtinuity ? So what terminal is it ?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

let me see if I have the ecm pinout for yours. Most of the time the short is at or near a splice where the blue wire from all the injectors come together at one junction and then go from there to the ecm. I will see if have the splice location as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you , I will wait your answer before proceeding.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I do not have the ecm pinouts or splice location diagrams. I can opt out if you wish and see if another expert has them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, do you mean I can get another expert without having to pay o ce again ?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

yes, I can opt out and that opens the question back up to other experts. They will reply in this same thread.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I think it's the best solution.... Thank you.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What happens ? I m in a hurry...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric, I have finally found the wiring diagram.
So according to me ther must be a borken wire , I suppose the number 36, which is the only one to be linked to the four injectors. tell me what you think please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have succeedded.
Following the W/G wire , I saw it was linked to the fuse box and the coils! So I've made a brideg between one coil and one nozzle, and it WORKS great... Hope this info may help others.
So you'll understand the rating will be low.
Thanks for having tried.