Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

My toyota avensis T3X 2.2 d4d diesel 2006 model is loosing

Customer Question

my toyota avensis T3X 2.2 d4d diesel 2006 model is loosing water when the engine is running i am sure it has no leaks because if the engine is off the water level stays we changed the thermostat but problem still on
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin these engine are very ,very common for head gasket failures which normally start off with coolant loss followed by eventual overheating.if car is only loosing coolant when running then you can rule out a leak . The head gasket failing allows coolant to enter combustion chamber where diesel and air is mixed and burnt this causes the coolant to get thrown in with the mix and out the exhaust .a garage will be able to carry out a combustion gas test on the cooling system to confirm this .this test takes around 15 minutes and will confirm if gasket is starting to fail