Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have just bought a 2000 1.8 se 20v VW passat estate. It

Customer Question

I have just bought a 2000 1.8 se 20v VW passat estate. It was misfiring slightly when warmed up while at cruising speed and then slightly as you pulled away in 1st and 2nd gear. On investigation i found the valve gasket fractured and plugs 1 and 2 full of oil. I have repalced the valve gasket and the plugs (ignition leads 1 and 2 will be replaced on Sat) but the problem persists. I have notices a load hiss in the engine bay when I turn off the engine. Could the problem be a vacuum seal and if so how can I find it?!
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Yes, it could be from a vacuum leak. ok, you need to have someone crank engine and put in gear and while idling, you spray each vacuum hose, intake air tube, pcv valve, and base of intake with carb cleaner one at a time. If idle changes when one is sprayed, that is your culprit and you will need to replace it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric thank you.i don't know where all these bit are! I've looked online for a diagram but can't find one. Also, the engine is smooth as a nut at the idle. Only when cruising or pulling away when warm.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Pcv valve is atop of valve cover. Air intake tube is the tube that runs from the air cleaner to the throttle body. The base of the intake is where the intake manifold bolts to the engine. And then any of the small black or grey vacuum hoses running in the engine compartment.

If it is idling smoothly, then likely not an air leak anywhere. The hiss may be from the exhaust due to a very small pinhole leak, or the secondary air system.

The current misfire may be from the oil soaked ignition leads, so we need to replace them and then see where we are on it

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?