Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My sidelights come on when I brake and if I turn my

Customer Question

My sidelights come on when I brake and if I turn my sidelights on it turns my brake lights on too I'm stumped any ideas?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin have bulbs been changed recently ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No was happily driving along and the abs light came on and my brake lights appeared to stick on got home turned the car off then started it again abs light went off then it started with my problem
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok il opt out as I don't have specific info for this model another tech will be along shortly

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.

The ABS light being on and the brake lights stuck on would point to a faulty or sticking brake pedal switch, but this would not on its own explain why the side lights and brake lights are interfering with each other.

I would start by checking the brake pedal switch, this is on the pedal box. The next step would be to carry out a diagnostic scan of the ABS system to find out exactly what did cause the light to come on, it may be unrelated to the other fault which would make more sense but otherwise two things come to mind, If you have tow bar electrics, start with these... often they have a controller which can fail causing these problems, or even a simple wiring fault between the light circuits and tow bar socket.

If there is no tow bar electrics, I would start by checking the wiring at the rear light clusters and the bulb holders, these often get damp and corroded causing bad connections and bad earths which feed current back into different circuits.

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.