Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 200 plate 3.2 v6 frontiers with an auto box and it

Customer Question

Hi I have a 200 plate 3.2 v6 frontiers with an auto box and it keeps refusing to change into 3rd gear, if you shift into 3 out of drive and take your foot of the throttle it will sometimes change, or it might change very harshly and bang into gear it then enters limp mode and the warning light come on the dash, but if you turn the car off for a minute and restart it resets the fault, some of the time it runs faultless!! I have had the box drained and refilled with auto fluid at a garage and the problem is now worse?? Any ideas solenoid valve? Thanks Kris
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do have an ABS light also however we have changed both sensors and rings on front wheels and it has new discs and pads all round would this contribute to gearbox problem?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

First, the ABS light is a separate issue and I would need the fault codes store in the ABS control module in order to help with that

What you are describing in the transmission is either a shift solenoid, TP sensor, or there is an internal pressure issue, possibly debris in the valve body or pump. It needs to be test driven with a scan tool hooked up to see if either the shift solenoid or the TP sensor is acting up when the transmission tries to go into 3rd gear and repaired as needed.

If no erratic behaviour in the shift solenoid or TP sensor, then pressures need to be taken to confirm pressure issue and valve body and pump inspected for debris and repaired as needed

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating