Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

A warning light in shape of an engine block has come on.

Customer Question

Been driving in 32 degree temp and stop motorhome to make lunch and on restarting the
The motorhome to move on the above light appeared,have driven 6 kms and booked into
Caravan park,hoping maybe when engine cools down,the problem may resolve itself.
Await your advise.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.

This warning light is the "MIL" OR Malfunction Indicator Lamp, it will come on when ever any fault is detected by one of the many sensors within the engine management system, It is not necessarily related directly to engine or ambient temperature and can be triggered by any one of hundreds of possible faults.

Firstly, if the MIL is ON, but the vehicle is running as normal with no rough running, misfires, lack of power etc... It is likely it is a minor fault detected or even a one off glitch, Unfortunately it is simply impossible to guess at the fault as there are hundreds of potential reasons for the light to come on, when the light comes on a fault code is stored, this needs to be retrieved using a diagnostic scanner (any good mechanic can do this) this will the pinpoint the cause of the light.

If there are running issues with the engine, the vehicle should be inspected as soon as possible, if there are no obvious issues, the light may go out when re-started, this means a fault was detected but has since cleared, it is still advisable to have a diganostic scan done when ever is convenient to find the cause.

If the light comes back on, or stays on, the vehicle should be inspected as soon as is convenient, however it should be perfectly safe to continue driving until you find a garage to take a look, they can then advise if a repair is necessary, often the light can simply be re-set to see if the fault re-occurs further down the line.

I strongly suspect this is a minor issue or glitch, I would have no worries driving until you can conveniently get it looked at.

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.