Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

This morning i started ( my e240 2001 auto petrol model )

Customer Question

Hi Paul, this morning i started ( my e240 2001 auto petrol model ) and started driving but i did notice a strange whistle like sound as i accelerated. drove about 2miles and refilled petrol. started as usual and drove to my supermarket.But when itried to reverse it stalled even though the reverse gear engaged well.I pushed aside and called my local mechanic who advised me to lock and open with the remote to reset. It worked for a while lost power and it was just revving though it was in a drive shift. i did about 5 times until i reached home but this time the engine diagonostic light was on permanently. please advise
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Since your diagnostic light has come on with this issue here now the first thing that should be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a scan tool or dealers sds machine to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.

From what is described this sounds like a fault with the valve body itself in the transmission possibly or an issue with a sensor or solenoid on the valve body.In some cases I have seen issues with the transmission fluid pump or even a bigger issue internally in the transmission with it needing removed and inspected then repaired.

I would start with having the fault codes checked to see what codes are set then from there those codes diagnosed and repaired.I suspect one of these above are the cause here that will need repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.