Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2010 Citroen Relay with the 2.2 diesel transit

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Citroen Relay with the 2.2 diesel transit engine. It started to misfire which resulted in the fuel filter and MAF sensor being replaced. Ran fine perfect for about 7miles then started missing again intermittently. It then appeared to have cured itself with the very occasional small misfire once in a while. that was until Saturday when it wouldn't start and when i eventually got it started it ran very rough, but i managed to get it home and it cleared through again until yesterday when it did the same twice. It's in for repair now and was advised that its the wiring to the MAF plug which has gone brittle and one wire was broke. The garage tried to solder the wire but when i went to pick the van up its now undriveable and i'm told it needs a new plug splicing in. Not available from Citroen apparently unless you buy the whole loom. in your opinion does it sound like it could be the faulty wiring to the MAF plug that is causing the intermittent misfire?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

faulty MAF wiring will upset thing s quite a lot so getting a new plug and splicing that into the harness furhter up where the wiring isn't hard 'should' help considerably

if this doesn't resolve the issue then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpfulplease rate my answer.