Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Very sluggish at low rpm and struggling to get up a normal

Customer Question

Very sluggish at low rpm and struggling to get up a normal hill
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, the first thing we need to check for is a partially restricted catalytic converter. A shop can test the back pressure, or you can remove the O2 sensor at the exhaust manifold and take on a test drive and see if power is restored going up a hill. If it is, replace the converter

If no difference, let me know and we will go from there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way some friends stole my genuine cat (very famous in London)and now we have an after market cat on it but this issue was the same even then. If that helps
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, that eliminates the converter as the culprit

Lets make sure the intake passages, fuel injectors and valves are carbon free.

You will need a can of SeaFoam cleaner, a funnel and a helper.

Disconnect the large vacuum hose at the brake booster(this goes directly to intake manifold). Have helper crank engine and every few seconds, goose the gas pedal to keep engine from stalling. Stick funnel in end of disconnect vacuum hose and slowly pour contents of Seafoam into funnel.( It will smoke white out the exhaust when doing this, which is normal for this procedure.)

Once done, reconnect vacuum hose and drive for about 5 miles at hwy speeds to finish cleaning out carbon.

the above will clean carbon from valves, intake manifold and injectors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
I'm sure no one sell them locally but give me couple of days and I will get it onine. Unless you suggest any shop selling it.
Cheers
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Here in the US, it is sold for about $8 a can at parts stores nationwide. I would imagine it is available in the UK as well, but if not, you can order it from RockAuto.com

Most shops charge around $120 US dollars to do this service, referred to as a direct induction cleaning

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I will give you update once I've completed the task.
Thanks for now.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, sounds good