Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I am unable to open my drivers door, the auto appears to

Customer Question

I am unable to open my drivers door, the auto appears to work is there a trick to opening the door
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can open the door I can renew the lock
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Most common to cause this issue here is the door latch/lock assembly needing replaced.If you have the door paneling off see if you can locate the levers/cables that pull or push on the lock/latch and see if you can use a flat blade tool to manually release the lock/latch to see if the door opens then.In some cases I have had to have a lock smith come out and open it or cut off the latch/lock striker to get the door opened then replace both the lock/latch and striker assembly to get this operating properly again.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have managed to remove the outer panel and just unbolted the inner panel, I can just see the rear of the lock in what appears covered with white plastic, I can move the leaver mechanism, but can't see where the latch bit is, if you can give me some idea where to "poke the latch" is. Thinking the view is somewhat limited.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately my info isn't showing how this is released.I know some models have a plastic housing that I have had to break apart to get to the latch manually but I would hate for you to do this and have no success.Usually if you can see where the lock and handle rods connect you can see where to release the latch but in most cases if the handles will not release the latch trying to release it manually may not work.I have had to cut out the striker before to open the door then replace the latch and the striker.I know some lock smiths can also have success with their tools to try and manually release the latch as well sometimes.

Thanks Pete