Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 95M mk1 1.8td mondeo. I have a problem with fuse

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 95M mk1 1.8td mondeo. I have a problem with fuse number 23 that keeps blowing. It states that it's the reversing light fuse but it also affects the indicators, blower motor, glow plug dash light and I think, the fuel guage. I have disconected the indicators, blower, and reverse lights in turn but it still keeps blowing. Do you have any ideas?
Many thanks,
Jon.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

You need to unplug the connector to the transmission range switch(also called the park neutral switch) and see if the fuse blows as the transmission range switch(which is what signal the reverse lamps to come on) is a common failure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply, but could you explain to me how to do what you have advised?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, the transmission range switch is located at the top rear side of the transmission - you will see an electrical connector to it as well as the shifter cable going to it. Unplug the harness connector to it and insert new fuse and see if it blows. If it doesnt, then you know to replace it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you mean the reverse light switch on the gearbox, which is the only electrical switch I'm aware of, then I've already disconnected this and the fuse still blows.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Yes, that is the one. Then you have a short in the wiring leading to one of the components on that circuit, which means physically tracing the wiring to find short and repair