Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

My daughter has a Renault clio 07 plate and I know this

Customer Question

Hi, My daughter has a Renault clio 07 plate and I know this sounds mad but everytime it rains it wont start or takes a while then chugs along, we ve had tow it twice to a garage, we ve bought a cover for the car now but if she forgets to cover it then same thing happens. We ve had a full service, new battery, new relays and had it checked for leaks but still the problem continues. Any ideas?? thanks Mrs Taylor
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

The moisture from the rain is causing a poor electrical connection to an engine or ignition component causing this fault here.This would be a component under the hood of the vehicle.Unfortunately it is difficult to pinpoint which connection or component this is without it acting up and being able to test it at the time it acts up with the proper test equipment.

What will have to be done is to go over the complete engine wiring harness and harness connections to see if any connection issues are found or loose/corroded wiring found that needs corrected.This may be bare wire hanging out of a connection or harness that is corroding or a seal on a connector that isn't sealing properly.I would have the harness checked over fully for any signs of water intrusion that needs repaired to correct this here.

The only other option is to allow a repair facility to hold onto the vehicle for a day or more to duplicate the fault so when it is duplicated they can test and locate the fault.I have had to ask some of my customers if they will allow this before to find hard to find faults like this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.