Roger, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Automotive Technician
88470418

I have a 2012 ford edge limited. 3 weeks ago my catalytic

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
i have a 2012 ford edge limited. 3 weeks ago my catalytic convertes became defective. Dont know what was the reason but it started ratling inside. I decided to remove the cat converter inside bits because they were no longer working. Now my car tends to switch off once in a while, I have the engine notification light on the dashboard 24/7 present. It's a mess...to replace those parts it is very expensive.
I have now an issue with my breaks, they tend to get hard whenever I am slowly cruising. Starting to hate on FORD !!
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'd be happy to help! Let me start by saying that if you removed the internal parts of the converter and didn't replace it, then the check engine light won't be able to go out because the computer measures oxygen and emissions content directly after the converter, those inner pieces clean the exhaust so if it's not cleaned in a predetermined amount the light will illuminate, you will also fail an emissions inspection if they have those where you live. The brake booster is the cause of your hard brake pedal, they are notorious for going bad on these vehicles, but make sure of you replace it get a dealer booster, the aftermarket boosters for these always go bad again. To see about the cutting off we'll have to have it scanned for codes other than the catalyst efficiency code that will be present.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roger, thanks for your quick feedback. In regards ***** ***** cat issue, after your indications this could explain why my car is switching off out-of-nothing right?I am in Angola (Africa) and to replace these parts, they are charging me something like 2900 USD and it seems a lot, so I decided to ship it from the States and find a local mechanic to install them. The thing is that I need to be sure of the malfunction.Do you think that this is a hard task to complete or not?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

No problem! The converters won't force the engine to cut off unless they are severely clogged. How did you remove the inner materials? If you tried to blow it through the exhaust system it is possible that some are lodged in the muffler, enough of that and it could cause to to shut down on its own, or the shutting off could be entirely unrelated to the catalytic converter issue, depends on what codes you pulled. The converter itself I don't think is hard to do, so any experienced mechanic should have no trouble with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it wasnt me who did it. I took it to a professional garage. Well getting some concerns about the whole thing. Dont understand how come a car with 22000 km (+- 12000 miles) is facing all of that. Really dont get it. Nevertheless will attempt to fix it, otherwise I will sell it ! Roger big thank you
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

That is crazy that it has such low mileage with converter issues. If there's any more questions let me know. Please don't forget to rate, they won't compensate me unless I've been rated. Thank you! Good luck!