Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have MB ML270 cdi 2000reg, if I want to change gearbox

Customer Question

i have MB ML270 cdi 2000reg, if I want to change gearbox oil , do I need to drain it not only from the pan but from oil cooler and pipes too (gearbox 5speed triptronic)? How many litters of oil do I need? I guess I need special dipstic to measure oil level in the gearbox? Thank you. Raymond
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello Raymond

Mercedes used to say that the gearbox oil was a 'lifetime' oil and never needed changing, however they've since changed their tune and to do a complete oil change you'll need about 10 ltrs and yes there's a special Mercedes dipstick to set the level

there's a couple of drain plugs , 1 for the sump pan and another for the torque convertor

the cooler holds another litre so its not such a big deal if its not replaced but you can use a compressed air gun to blow it through but its not necessery

I'd also remove the sump pan and replace the filter with new

there's an excellent how to here

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Mercedes-Benz/23-TRANS-Automatic_Transmission_Fluid_Change/23-TRANS-Automatic_Transmission_Fluid_Change.htm

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.