sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I bought my ford mondeo 2012 in the UK and shipped it to my

Customer Question

Hi. I bought my ford mondeo 2012 in the UK and shipped it to my home country. I have been driving the vehicle now for two years and it has been nothing but problematic for me. Firstly, the vehicle does not achieve the guaranteed mileage of 3125miles between services. It usually does 1000miles before the get the 'oil change service' indicator on my dashboard (which means i service my car every two months). Secondly, the car emits a white/ greyish smoke when the car is running but stationary. This happens especially in traffic. Lastly, the vehicle emits a thick dark smoke when accelerating. Although this does not happen all the time, it is consistent when the vehicle needs servicing.
Kindly assist me as the ford dealers in my country do not know what to do and i do not want to sell my car- it is the envy of many on the road.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The oil change interval is calculated based on how the vehicle is driven so there is no guarantee of how long the interval will be. If it's driven on the highway for instance and especially in cooler climates it will go longer between oil changes, if it's driven in short drive cycle, stop and go conditions, hot climate, excessive attempts at DPF regeneration; anything that will cause quicker oil breakdown, that will cause it to calculate the life shorter. There could be a software issue or the DPF being removed may be related, you can simply reset it if you don't feel the oil needs to be changed when the reminder is telling you but it's basing that off the way it's being driven.

The smoke is partly because the DPF has been removed but it sounds as if you have one or more failed injectors. White, blue or gray smoke at idle is caused by incomplete combustion from cold combustion chamber temperatures, you can be pretty certain that the problem is one or more worn injectors, which will also cause black smoke on acceleration. Removing the DPF will cause you to see smoke that you shouldn't though as it is in place to stop smoke and particulates from entering the atmosphere.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now that the DPF has been removed, what can i do to stop the black smoke on acceleration? I will have my mechanic check out the injectors to see if they need replacement.
I usually do short drive cycles and i am in a hot climate country- this explains the shorter service intervals. What do you mean by excessive attempts at DPF regeneration? I think my Ford Dealer could be at fault for doing this.

You're not going to completely stop smoke because you've removed the device that stops smoke. If there is an injector issue though then replacing them will lessen the smoke.

A DPF goes through a regeneration cycle where fuel is injected on the exhaust stroke to bring the DPF temperature high enough for soot to burn. Regeneration time is accounted for in the oil change monitor because of the high temperatures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mechanic has informed me that the turbo has a problem and needs to be replaced. What does the turbo do? Could this possibly be the reason for the dark white smoke? Once a turbo has a problem can it be repaired or does it have to be replaced? Will replacement or repair of turbo stop or reduce white smoke?

The turbo compresses air and forces it into the engine. If the turbo has failed and isn't producing boost it will cause black smoke on acceleration and low power. It wouldn't cause the white smoke.

The normal repair for a failed turbo would be to replace it.