Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

I have 2007 XKR convertible the problem started when I had

Customer Question

Hi Richard, I have 2007 XKR convertible the problem started when I had my car washed and they broke the aerial because it was up. When I stared to look around in the boot I pulled the latch cable for the hood by mistake. On the dashboard it indicates 'hood not latched'. I then tried to open the top, the back quarter light windows came down and that was that, nothing further happened. I have been to the nearest Jag dealer here in Spain, they spent two hours this morning without success. What would you recommend, can I do this myself?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I recommend we first make sure the front windows are set. Start the engine and lower both front windows. Hold the switches down for about three seconds then raise both windows. Hold both switches up for about three seconds. Then manually fully lower the top. Then start the engine and press the top up switch and hold it to see if the top will fully close. Let me know.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I can send over the procedure to lower the top if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, what is the best way to lower the top manually?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

First pop off the middle rear seat back cover by pulling the top out then sliding it up. You will see an allen wrench clipped on top of the fuse box. Then go in the trunk and remove the vent on the passenger side rear. You will see the convertible top pump enclosed in a gray insulation. There will be a hole in it where you need to insert the allen wrench and turn counter clockwise till you feel resistance. Then go inside and look at the front of the top in the center you will see a cover. With a small flat blade screwdriver pop the front of that cover down and slide it out. Insert the allen in the hole and again turn counter clockwise till you feel resistance. You will notice that the top is starting to open. You will need an assistant to do the next step. Go outside the vehicle and grab the from and back of the top and fold them together then have an assistant pull the release handle that is located next to that pump. Just pull the handle and the tonneu cover will come up. Hold the cover up and fold the top down into the well. Allow the cover to drop down

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, I guess once I have gone through this procedure, it's to start the engine and put the top up?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Close the manual valve on the pump and raise the top with the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, I have gone through the procedure and folded the top back into the well. Started the engine and attempted to raise the top. The windows go down and up but the top stays in the well. Have attempted the procedure a few times with the same result. What do you recommend next?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok lets fully raise the top manually reversing the lowering procedure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, No success, I have agreed to call you with the additional amount, but the system won't allow me to enter my full number here in Spain. Suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we tried to raise the top manually we could only get it partially closed. This seems to be quite a problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Meaning the top will com down but get stuck about a foot off the front?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, we can wind the top down untill it's almost closed. It's the centre of the hood which will not go up and fully close. I would assume that without the assistance of the hydraulics this is the problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok fully lower the top manually and reset those from Windows to see if the top will raise. Sometimes going up and down manually resets it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
We stopped for the day. Will try again tomorrow. Many thanks for your help and patience. Will let you know progress tomorrow.
Best Regards,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Let me know.