sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a Ford transit 2009 diesel. The vehicle wouldn't

Customer Question

I have a Ford transit 2009 diesel. The vehicle wouldn't start and just clicked, then started. I had the starter motor replaced. Still did it so I had the battery replaced to a bigger one, starter relay replaced and it still sometimes just clicks like I have a flat battery. The cables have been cleaned and greased. Still the same problem
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're getting a single click or rapid clicking from the engine compartment when the key is held in the crank position then you're most likely hearing the starter attempting to engage but it isn't' able to because of a poor power or ground to the starter. A single click is usually the result of a failed starter solenoid, rapid clicking from low battery voltage. If the starter and battery have been ruled out then you have a cable or connection issue if the click you're hearing is from the starter.

If the battery terminals are clean and tight then you either have an issue in one of the cables or possibly a poor engine ground. One quick thing you can try is connecting a jumper cable from the negative battery post to a clean unpainted engine part. If this allows it to crank then you have an engine ground issue. If no cables are vaailable then what should be done is voltage drop test the positive and negative cables.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for that. Sometimes it just clicks once and then starts. Other times it just clicks all the time like the battery is flat. Is it worth me buying some earth straps and putting them from the engine to the body?
I was wondering if the starter that was replaced was the correct wattage. Could that make a problem?

If the starter appeared the same and fit then I'm sure it's the correct one.

Adding a redundant ground from the battery to the engine would definitely help if the problem was a poor engine ground.