Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Mitsubishi L200 Diesel 2.5lt Model 2012. The engine does not

Customer Question

Mitsubishi L200 Diesel 2.5lt Model 2012.
The engine does not start. Once the ignition key is turned on, the engine makes an attempt to start; however, it lacks the power to do so. Checked if the fuel is coming from the tank to the fuel pump and it does. I don't know if the fuel is being injected to the engine. Also, disconnected the angle crank sensor from the engine and checked it with a current sense (one with a light bulb) and if you look at it from the front, the last connector lights up the bulb and there is a weird sound (the other connectors does not light the bulb).
Disconnected the tube that feeds air (i think) into the motor and spay an accelerator whilst starting the engine and the motor makes a better attempt to start. After a few seconds, it stops.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what is described here this sounds like a lack of fuel to the cylinders.If you have fuel coming to the fuel pump one thing I would check or replace if this hasn't been done in the last year is the fuel filter.I have seen fuel filters restrict and cause low fuel volume and can cause this.If this was already replaced I would have the fuel injection pump/high pressure pump tested.The fuel injection pump can fail causing this and in some cases it can be repaired by a diesel repair facility but if not then a new or remanufactured one is needed for replacement.

If you have not had the fault codes checked to see if any fault codes are set this needs done as well.If there are any codes set they will need diagnosed and will help pinpoint the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you elaborate more on the codes? As in I have to take the truck to the garage. The problem is, in my city, there are no garages that take diesel vehicles.

One more thing, perhaps is not related to the codes but on the dash board when I try to start it, there is an engine light coming up.

I have not tried to replace the fuel filter. Can you tell me where is located? - The truck is second had and came with no owners manual. Thanks.

Adriana

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Adriana.

Having the codes checked usually requires a scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read your vehicles computers.In some cases this has to be done by a repair facility or dealer.Even if a garage won't take in a diesel vehicle they may still be able to read out the fault codes for you which will help locate the fault.If you know anyone in your area that has a scan tool or computer that will plug into your vehicle you can have the codes checked by them as well.If you can get these read out and post the code info here this will help.

Unfortunately I don't have the location on the fuel filter on this model myself as my info is limited on it but usually it is in the fuel feed line running from the fuel tank to the injection pump and most are under hood near the engine.It is usually on the side or back of the engine and should look similar to this here https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tqsklv8g7y007j/ff-10-16-15.jpg?dl=0.

The engine light is a normal feature to come on with the key on and when cranking on most models and will go out once the engine has started as long as there are no fault codes set.If there are fault codes set the light will remain on once the engine is running.But this doesn't mean there are no codes in your model here as most likely at least one code has set that needs read out and diagnosed.

Thanks Pete