SARMIENTO22556
SARMIENTO22556, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, ADVANCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE,OVER 20 YRS. ON ALL MAKES OF VEHICLES
8532170

I have a civic 2006 that cant start - I recharged the

Customer Question

Customer: I have a civic 2006 that cant start - I recharged the battery because it went dead from a light i forgot to turn off. After refitting the battery the alarm goes off and the engine wont start - i removed the horn fuse so i could try to get it in order. but the enigine wont start.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hi again - I just tried to disconnect the battery for 2-5 minutes and reattach it with the key in the ignition (position two) now the alarm is not going off but i still cant start the engine - the starter now works but the engine is not starting.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Honda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, try this

Open driver door and leave open. Pop the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait 60 seconds, insert the key into the ignition and turn the key to the on position. Now, reconnect the negative cable. The alarm should sound for 60 seconds and go off. Once it does, cycle key to off and then crank it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,I tried what you suggested but unfortunately still no luck. The starter still works but doesnt start the engine. FYI the car worked perfectly before the battery got drained. It does however show a green key on the display now - it didnt before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh btw. the alarm didnt sound like you said having the door open when reattaching the negative bat cable.
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 1 year ago.

hello, let's try this. when the alarm is going off stick the key in the driver's door and cycle the key to lock and unlock. hopefully the alarm will go off and you will now be able to start the car. please let me know if this works.

please don't rate my service until we are completely finished

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,The alarm doesnt go off anymore.. It did at first, when i did not have the key in the ignition while attaching the cables. After i did that the alarm didnt go off - the engine just didnt want to start you could hear the starter clicking tho (no green key flashing in dashboard). Then followed Erics description which lead to flashing green key in dashboard - It doesnt lit up until i try press the Start Engine button though.

it would appear that since the green light not coming on that it is no longer seeing the programmed key which would cause a no run condition. I have seen this happen a couple of times and the immobilizer module was at fault which required replacement of the fuse panel and reprogram of the keys.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It needed a new battery. The car started perfectly afterwards. No issues.

oh that's great news. A weak battery would cause that issue. glad you were able to get going again.