Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
36867192

Randal, My daughters Mazda 3 2004 has a strange something

Customer Question

good morning Randal,
My name is***** daughters Mazda 3 2004 has a strange something with the lichts.
The dashboardligts randomly goes on and off.
When this occurs also the glovebox licht, ashtray and sidemarkerlights fail to illuminate.
When I rotate the light from off to on and when everything works and when i rotate the switch several times than all on a sudden the mentioned lights fail.
The thumbwheel switch for brightness works OK.
I checked the fuses under the glove compartment and in the fuse block in the motorcompartment; everything is OK.
I wonder if there is a lightswitch relay somewhere. I cant find it. Ifthere is such a relay where is it located and is the problem there?
Or is the problem possible in the lightswitch?
I tryed many times by rotating , pulling, pushing and so on to find out if something is wrong with that switch but could not find something strange in it.
What can I do more to find the disturbtion and repair it.
My daughter dus not use her car
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

You will need a knowledge of complex computer electronic processes ,the proper testing equipment, a live data scanner, and most likely you will find the switch is the tip of the ice berg , it may be the whole problem ,it may only be the start of the problem that has progressed into the wiring of the dashboard electronics, you can find a wiring diagram here alldatadiy.com, it is most likely an issues for an experienced technician with the proper tools, and then will be a challenge for him.PLEASE RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, PLEASE ask me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after you rate my service until you are completely satisfied with my answers.