Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Silly question regarding Subaru outback 3.0Rn. A couple of

Customer Question

Hi Jerry,
silly question regarding Subaru outback 3.0Rn. A couple of times, from a totally cold start it has had no power in reverse when trying to go up a slope. As it it'll rev all the way up to 3000rpm and only move at 1-2mph.
would I be right in thinking that the vehicle doesn't understand that it's on a slope and is trying to prevent an engine stall?
It also, very occasionally, won't turn over after fuelling which suggests that the transmission inhibitor switch might be a bit suspect.
any advice appreciated,
Dave
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah well, seeing as I'm having to pay for it I'll give you a bit more info. Regarding the non-starting after fuelling (which I'd previously put down to my own ineptitude with the immobiliser) I've just realised that both times it's happened at the same pump, which is on a slight downhill slope. I usually fill to the "click" and then until the second "click" - is there something built into the charcoal filter system which would activate the immobiliser?
The previous owner had his suspicions that there might be something a bit off with some sort of sensor on the gear-stick causing an occasional non-start.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

As far as vehicle not moving, it sounds like the beginning of a transmission problem. You could start with a flush incase there is a sticking valve inside transmission. The vehicle starting hard after filling usually means the purge solenoid is sticking open. The purge solenoid allows fuel vapor back into engine so if it is sticking open it will allow too much fuel vapor causing a hard start. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.