carlosbosch
carlosbosch, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Bosch diagnostic expert diesel ,petrol,and hybrid cars.
69527843

I have a 51 plate Peugeot 306 2.0 hdi. It starts ok within

Customer Question

I have a 51 plate Peugeot 306 2.0 hdi. It starts ok within reason most days and I drive to work- runs fine. Leave work 9 hrs later and starts ok ish again. Drive 4 miles turn it off for a hour or two and then will not start. Help. If I doesn't start and I put jump leads on it- it takes a minute but will then start. Anyone have any ideas
Many thanks
Chris
Category: UK Car
Expert:  carlosbosch replied 1 year ago.

Hi,the vehicle alternator doesn't work properly the voltage regulator need to be replaced in short trip the alternator is able to recharge the battery and supply the the power to other unit due to the regulator failure...feel free to ask any related questionshave a blessed day

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery is brand new. And it still done it when the car was only left for a short while. If left all day it's normally fine. Had diagnostics done and no faults were found! The battery isn't low when I jump it. It just starts when they are used

Even if the battery is good the regulator can charge the new battery in bad way and this lead to consume the power from the new battery in short trip ...in longer trip the consumed power will be compensate due to the time of bad charging .

Please check the alternator regulator voltage and not the battery . there is a special alternator tester it will help show you the exact figure of the regulator and you will see clearly that it's charging very slowly and not properly

this type of tools can help you in the diagnoses of the voltage regulator.

please feel free to ask any related questions.