Euro_ Service
Euro_ Service, Service Manager
Experience:  Experience in many different European car mfgrs; Lotus owner
14892859

I have a 1994 landcruiser kzj78 but the steering is locked

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1994 landcruiser kzj78 but the steering is locked and the key won't unlock it. How do I get the ignition barrel out to get a new key cut ? Thanks.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Euro_ Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. To extract the ignition key cylinder/barrel, first, the key needs to be in the ACC position. With a strong & thin piece of wire or metal rod, insert it into the hole at the bottom of the ignition lock body. The wire or rod will move a retainer catch so the barrel pulls out. If you cannot get the key to ACC, take a Dremel Moto tool and fit a flat cutting wheel. Locate the two things that resemble bolt heads on the side of the ignition lock assembly. Using the cutoff wheel. grind a straight line into the head of the bolt. Make it deep enough so you can fit a straight blade screwdriver into the slot you are cutting into the bolt head. Then insert the screwdriver into the slot and unscrew the bolt counterclockwise. The bolt heads are actually part of the threaded part of the bolt. The heads break off when tightened properly. The cutting of a sufficient grove into the bolts will allow you to remove the two bolts; they are not in there very tight. Failing having a Motor tool. a small chisle will loosen the bolts by tapping on the 'head' and forcing it counter clockwise.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I cannot see anything that resembles bolt heads on the side of the assembly. The key won't turn so I cannot get it into the acc position.Perhaps it is a different assembly to the one you are referring to. Would it be possible to see a picture showing the bolt heads.
Thanks.

You won't see bolt heads. You will see 2 rounded metal nubs that holds a u shaped bracket to the back of the ignition lock assembly You cut a groove in the rounded nubs. The nubs are what you would chisel on if you don't have a moto tool. These are what they call break away bolts. The heads break off leaving the nubs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This must be a different type of lock assembly as there are no nubs that resemble the shear studs. There is also no u bracket, it is one complete assembly that fits over the steering column with the ignition barrel part of it.

The part of the ignition lock that is closest to the key is one unit. The part that wraps around the steering column is the other part of the unit. The entire unit is designed to be removed if it fails. The part that faces away form the ignition key, a u shaped bracket of sorts, is held on by break away bolts. The lock is designed to nbe removed without taking the steering column off. If it was one single piece, you could never slide it off of the column if it was removed from the vehicle. Look again, at the side of the unit specifically the side that is to the left of the steering column. Better yet, take a picture of it and upload it here.