gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Porsche cayenne temp rising, passanger side begin to flow

Customer Question

porsche cayenne temp rising, passanger side begin to flow cold air and driver side blowing hot even if both sides set to max hi temp
Category: UK Car
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

it sounds like the temperature adjustment door is not adjusting properly, to be able to test it the scan tool is best as it will run a self-test, but you can access the area behind the trim panels on the left side, center of the dash area, and see if the motor adjusts as you adjust the heat controls for that side. More than likely the temp flap motor is sticking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how its relating to car temp arrow rising ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as soon as coolant temp begins to rise over 90C passanger side begins to blow cold air, today i noticed what if temp holds 90C both sides blowing hot air as normally when set to its max
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sometimes it just decide to go over 90C and goes up to around 100% but i wont let go further and just turn heat max (one side working) and drive slowly so it goes back to normal 90C again
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

That is odd to be that specific of a problem, occurring at the same temperature each time. I can't think of a good reason why this would happen. There are temperature sensors inside the ducts for the vents, so maybe if one is not reading right it will think the temperature is too hot and turn it down on that side- but to only happen once it reaches a certain temperature is strange.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont think its actually about reaching the certain temp, it looks like its something to do with thermostat, couse it seems once it opens and lets coolant flow its blowing hot and once it closed it wont circulate and keep the air cool, but why it could hapen to the one side only 😕
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked your pollen filter (cabin air filter) recently? I have seen some issues with air flow due to this being plugged

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would that couse wngine temp to rise ? no i didnt check it but i will tomorrow at day light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also where i could find it may you tell me
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

are you saying that the temp gauge is rising above the middle mark? The gauge is not an analog gauge, it should not dip and rise as the thermostat opens and closes- it should warm up to operating temp, and stay there, like it is locked on. As long as the temp sensor sees it in a "range" of operating temperature, it sets the needle right at the midpoint, to avoid the driver having to watch it constantly.

If your temp gauge is rising above the midpoint, then you have a cooling system issue. Either your thermostat never opens, and the engine is overheating, you have a leak somewhere, or your coolant pump is not operating correctly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i assuming it but why its related to cold air flow on the one side only, if thermostat wouldnt open i would have no heat at all, no leaks appearing, and yes needle goes up sometimes, not always actually but 1 out of 2 or 3 drivings, all piping was replaced in 2013 so should be fine i think, not sure if pump was replaced or not
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The only reason I can think of that you would have heat on one side and not the other is the flap motors- I can't explain what triggers it to drop when it reaches a certain temp though.