Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Have read your note on X5 radio reseption, very interesting.

Customer Question

Have read your note on X5 radio reseption, very interesting. I have an after market head unit but no radio.I have located the items shown in the drawing. Which cable goes from the rear the front and connects to the head unit.
Thanks Kevin
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Unfortunately I don't have the info you need for the cable connections on this model here.I would check and make sure the antannae connections are all connected properly to the after market unit itself.In allot of cases a radio reception fault can be caused by a loose or disconnected radio antannae connection needing corrected.If this is connected to the radio properly follow the cable if you can and see if any damage is found to the cable itself to where it would need repaired or replaced possibly.If this is or was already checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for the response. I have checked all the connections and all appears ok. The strange thing is, once I'm in Scotland the radio starts to work, which would suggest that the problem is with the diversity amp in the rear window. Any ideas.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It is possible the antannae itself is damaged needing replaced or repaired.I have seen vehicles that have the antannae as part of the rear window to where the grid is damaged or the antannae amplifier usually located at the rear window is damaged needing replaced or repaired.This will have to be tested further to pinpoint which component is at fault causing this here and then repaired from there to correct it.

Thanks Pete