Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Loss of power. sometimes struggle to set off at all. engine

Customer Question

loss of power. sometimes struggle to set off at all. engine idles well but does not respond. when I eventually reach 50 mph , I only have a fraction of the power I used to have.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used to cure the problem by restarting it, but not any more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No warning lights are on, but the radio has stopped working.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The radio issue and lack of power issue are most likely two separate issues here.First with the radio if there is no power to it or no operation with it at all I would check and make sure all fuses are o.k. in all fuse panels.If this is found o.k. the radio needs removed and the power and grounds tested to it to see if there is a power or ground issue to the radio needing located and repaired.In most cases the radio usually needs removed and repaired or replaced to correct this here.

With the no power or lack of acceleration this may be a fault with the fuel pump/injection pump not performing as it should or in some cases a restricted fuel filter needing replaced.I have also seen a restricted exhaust component cause this as well needing tested and the affected exhaust component replaced.These need to be checked to locate which is the cause here and from there repaired to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is also very bad juddering from 1000 rpm to 2500 rpm. This is related directly to engine speed, not drive shaft speed.
It still sometimes drives ok so I believe the fault is not mechanical, but electrical..
I presume an exhaust fault would not cause this much interference.
How many stages of EMU are there? Is there one that controls turbo prop pitch?
Is there one that affects ignition or injector timing?
Will a diagnostic plug in sense this kind of specific fault?
I dont have much faith in plug ins. or garage mechanics who say it might be flywheel.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Unfortunately I don't have the info on how many EMU stages there are on this model.The best thing and first thing that should be done here is to have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set in each computer.Once this has been done any of the codes set will help with diagnosing and pinpointing the fault here.The code won't pinpoint the issue but it will help diagnose and locate the fault.If you can get the codes read out and post the codes here this will help.

Thanks Pete