Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

My ford galaxy has just had a new starter motor but cannot

Customer Question

My ford galaxy has just had a new starter motor but cannot be driven as you try and drive the power steering will not work and without maintaining high revs the engine fails
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin. Sorry to hear of your troubles did these problems start after starter was fitted or after a period of time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem started at the same time and wasn't fixed by replacing the starter motor
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok and with power steering does this not work at all or does this also only function when revs are up ? Are there any lights on dash board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no warning lights coming on, the steering fails when the revs drop, I had a timing belt or something similar fitted about 18 months ago and it feels like the same problem but I can't remember what it was called
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

This is normal for steering to drop if revs become very low as pressure in system isn't being created the first thing I would do is have throttle body removed and cleaned and the idle control valve as it sound as though engine runs ok but just doesn't like to idle and these are both common to carbon up and cause the type of problem you have