Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My name is and i'm from the Netherlands. My 92 Pontiac

Customer Question

Customer: Hello ,my name is ***** ***** i'm from the Netherlands . My 92 Pontiac firebird 3.1 L was running great ,but it had a bad starter .So I chanced the starter in a to much of a hurry and dit not see that the cable to the starter was hitting the exhaust manifold. After a*****the coating of the wire was melted away and the cable shorted to the exhaust manifold and pulled the battery empty , Now the Pontiac idles bad and has a fuel smell like its running to rich and when warm it stalls .
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I already take the ground cable off from the battery and relearnd the iac valve but the rpm is going from 600 to 900 when idles and its like he is getting way to much fuel , I dit a reading with my snap on solus pro ,but I did not find any funny figures and no codes . Can the ECM being damaged because of the cable that shorted ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: No problem , its hard to do these think in english ;-]
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

With engine running, what does the O2 sensor reading show on the scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O2 ( mv ) 480
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
o2 0,48 volt
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Constantly, or does it change with the engine running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it change a bit not much , it stay's a bit on that 0,4 volt , also checked something like loop , its opens and closes sometime and than Then flicker back between rich/lean Block learn is 128 The EGR is blocked off for the ast 4 years
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Does scan tool show IAC learned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dave , I put in a new iac and a temp sender and even a ignition control module I reset te ecm and relearn the iac , Stil the Pontiac idles rough and sometimes almost stalls , and there is a strong gasoline smell like the engine is drowning in gas .
How ever I did a CO test and that was good 0.5 , the car also react good when i step on the gas pedal , there is a little kink in the fuel line ,that happend chancing he fuel filter , can there be a pressure problem ?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Remove one or more of the spark plugs, is the tip blackened or is it more of a light tan/white color?