cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

Recently have been having problems with my volvo v50 1.8

Customer Question

recently have been having problems with my volvo v50 1.8 petrol 2008 going into limp mode only seems to happen after a run of 15 miles at a steady mph coming into a built up area slowing down and changing gear revs seem to drop right down,message comes up on the dash "reduced engine performance" then car goes into limp mode ,turn off ignition then start again all is ok have had it into local garage they fitted a new throttle pedal sensor but this didnt work took it back they cant find any fault coming up told me to take it to a volvo dealer can you help.
Submitted: 1 year ago via AskTheMechanic.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

it will have to be taken to a valvo dealer they can deactivate limp mode with their scanner a normal scanner will not access the systems need to remove the car from limp mode

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It isnt on limp mode at the moment as I said I can reset the problem by turning off the engine and starting it again I need to know what is causing it to suddenly happen.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

A bad connection in the tcm will cause it to go into limp mode but can't say for sure without it being scanned by a Volvo scanner

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was really for an answer without having to take it to volvo for a diagnostic as this will be costly.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

unfortunately its a volvo and lot of the computer issues can only be fixed by a dealer i wish i could give you another answer but there is not one i apologize

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also its a manual car so it wont have a tcm?
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

that is true but with out a volvo scanner and knowing what codes it is giving off i really cant help you any more like i said i know you dont want to take it to the dealer but sometimes thats the only thing that can be done i am sorry