Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

I have a Range Rover sport supercharged 4.2 2005 model I

Customer Question

Hi Mike I have a Range Rover sport supercharged 4.2 2005 model I bought the car 3 days back it ran perfect the whole day I parked it at night and the next morning the first time I turned the key it would just make a click noise then the second time it just started normally I thought it was a batt prob so I got the batt replaced, ran fine the whole day the next morning again the same thing this time started after 3-4 times after trying once it cranked and then died sounded like batt didn't have power, but eventually started. Then same day I went out and as I came back from the mall and tried to start it same issue but this time it cranked once died and then started I turned it off to try again then it just made the click noise no crank nothing and engine power reduced fault came on. AA people came and checked but couldn't start it even with jumper cables.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

We may have a problem with the starter motor or possibly a power/ground connection to the starter/engine. We can try jumping the starter motor relay socket which is in the battery junction box. It should be labeled SM. The relay pins should be numbered. Then go to the corresponding pins on the relay socket and jump pins 3 and 5 to see if the starter motor engages.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The AA guy tried that could the engine be seized?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

That is a possibility. We can try to turn the engine by hand and check the oil level and condition. It does sound more like a starter issue.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and I hope all is well. This question is still open on my end as it has not been rated yet. Please accept/give a positive rating so I can receive credit. If you need anything else on this topic please reply back.