sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I found this old help of yours as it is similar to my

Customer Question

HI
I found this old help of yours as it is similar to my problem
I have 1999 petrol xantia 2.0 ct turbo
It was working fine after i changed a rear suspension cylinder moved the car from the garage no problem ran the car for 20 mins to bleed the suspension then moved the car again to park and just i was about to get out and turn the car off the engine hesitated then ran for about 10 secs then cut out and wouldnt start !
- then after many attempts it started once but cut out - I then towed it a short distance to get it back in my garage and then it statrted no problem - but it ran for about 2 minutes then hesitated then cut out as before - ive taken fuel pump out, tested it works fine off the car
- found the fuel pump wire to make it pump while trying to turn engine over and nothing !!
I am completely stumped - i have connected by obd 2 to try and read codes but my reader says connection problem - that maybe bcoz it was not an expensive reader but that has left me even more stumped
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Based on the way it died it does sound like it ran out of fuel pressure, but if a code reader won't communicate then the engine controller may not be awake. If the ECM isn't awake it could be an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it.

When you tested for power at the pump was that while cycling the key or cranking the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - I am afraid your reply has arrived too late - I was expecting a much faster response based on the ads - that may not be your fault but in the time i have been waiting for a reply i traced the problem - there is feed wire from the fuse box directly to the "injection" relay device - the terminal at the fuse box was so bad it had developed an intermittent break that has spent more time disconnected than connected - i found it by moving the mounting bracket and that movement kept making the relay click - once i had moved connectoe changed the spade connector and used the spare terminal in the same plug position the conenction is permanent and no more probs - it starts first time and the pump is obviously spinning away as it should
Sorry but I assume you file my enquiriy as "not pursued/not resolved"

I'm glad you got it fixed!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you just confirm that i will not be charged for the enquiry I made - I was hoping you would confirm

I do not receive credit unless you rate my performance.