Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

I have an intermittent central locking problem with a Ford

Customer Question

I have an intermittent central locking problem with a Ford Focus. I have tried cleaning the driver's door to chassis connectors and the connector to the actuator inside the drivers door but the fault is still there. I need other places to look. Have Haynes manual and Voltmeter but need some pointers for where to check for the fault.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin how can I help what is your exact problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The central locking behaves as if there is a faulty connection. I need some help to diagnose where it is. I have cleaned the contacts in the round plug between driver door and chassis and between driver door actuator and cable, but the fault persists. When the door is opened with the driver door key only that lock opens then after a time the other locks unlock. From then on, repeated lock / unlock switching from the drivers door switch operates all locks OK. The problem seems to only occur at entering the car and doesn't seem to link to cold/ damp weather. On leaving the car I have to check that all doors are locked and can't remember an occasion when they didn't all lock. All other electrical operations are OK. This is a 14 year old Ford Focus but only 56k miles and good runner so keen to sort it out. I am a telecoms engineer so given pointers I can work my way around electrical circuits but need some suggestions as to sensible places to test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My email says that there is an answer from Kevin but I cant see any text ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I don't offer this service I will opt out and another professional will be along

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the Haynes manual that shows the pin outs on the controller and the door lock actuators with wiring colours but not the pin out at the door to body connector which is where I need to do the testing. I could try to trace the wiring but cant get to the back of either body or door connector. I seem to get full operation from the key fob so I am guessing that the fault is between the controller - the wiring the connectors and the actuator in the drivers door. The help I need is how to test / repair connections / connectors in this chain ?