Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I am the happy owner of a Volvo V50 D5 with a engine service

Customer Question

I am the happy owner of a Volvo V50 D5 with a engine service needed message (system 19). It appears when the speeder is pressed down full or close to. Oil level app 50-60 % of the Full mark. It is beginning to annoy me.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Does the light stay on steady when it does come on or does it blink.

The first step we need to do is have the ecm scanned for fault codes, which will likely be for an intermittent issue, generally meaning a wiring issue

Once you do this and get the fault code, post it here and I can go from there in properly diagnosing it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stays on for app 2- 3 days and the disappear. After that pressing the contact for messages replies: no messages.The fault code appears after pressing tripmeter for some time and is "System 19"I do not have a plug-in-Volvo-computer so to get the scanning as you suggest means that I have to go to a Volvo shop to get a reading. A friend of mine suggests that the oil (0-30) is actually too thin and I need one with higher numbers (10-30 or higher). He suggests that the oil "foams" when engine is "under pressure". Funnily enough it is almost impossible to get in contact with Volvo mechanics/engineers which I think is very bas service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bad not bas
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

What year is your V50?

What are the typical weather conditions where you are at right now? It is possible that the oil is too thin for the current conditions

Have you check under the oil fill cap yet after driving for a while to see if there is any foam on the underside of the cap

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check for foam today. Model Year 2007. First registration nov. 2006. I am in Denmark.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Engine Oil Grade ........................................... API SL, ACEA A1/B1, ILSAC GF-3

Below 40° C (104° F) ............................................... 0W-30, 0W-40

-30° to 30° C (-22° to 86° F) ............................................... 5W-30

-25° to 40° C (-13° to 104° F) .............................................. 5W-40

-20° to 40° C (-4° to 104° F) .............................................. 10W-30

The above are volvo oil recommendations for yours. Given typical Denmark weather, I would say 0w30 is too thin and should go to either 5w30 or 10w30

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know of the temperature/oil grade figures you mention but it sounds as if you are not familiar with the Volvo V50 D5 computer message problems and I am not more clever than when we started this conversation so we better stop now.Thanks for your help.Best regardsNIls